Monday, November 19, 2007


Judy Langille says “While teaching art to elementary school children, I began to study traditional quilt making and later taught it to adults. My interest in art quilts grew and during this period, I organized many school programs for children and teachers to work collectively on the production of community quilts. I also received several grants, including one from the Geraldine Dodge Foundation, for my work in integrating the arts into the school curriculum. Today I work extensively with fabric dying and printing, using thermofax and photo silkscreen techniques. My fiber art has been juried into many national and regional shows, including Quilt National and Fine Focus 2002 and 2004. I have been teaching textile design at William Patterson University and the Newark Museum Arts Workshop. I am an active participant in the Morris County Crafts Awareness Program, which features selected artists in residence.”

Dotted I’s
$200

100% cotton, discharge paste and thickened dyes, threads and batting
Torn rice paper resist screened with thickened dyes and discharge paste, machine stitched

“Dotted i’s” is part of a new series of work which uses torn paper as a resist, in this case rice paper. The forms that emerge from the torn paper are the inspiration. Discharge paste is screened through a blank silkscreen frame on a variety of black fabrics. Using thickened dyes, I paint the forms that have color removed from them and then repeat the process of discharge and paint several more times until I have my desired composition. The colors and shapes that emerge from within the different black areas of these fabrics create a mysterious new element to my work. These whole pieces of fabric are then layered with batting and a backing and machine stitched with a variety of threads. The stitching creates a line that is drawn onto the surface of the fabric to bring the composition together.

No comments: