Thursday, November 15, 2007


Monique Gilbert started traditional quilting in 1984 in a non quilting land, Belgium. Working together with “de Kunstbank” in 1989 made her realise that a lot of work has to be done to promote Art quilts. Therefore she coordinated Europa Quilts 1 and 2 in Leuven and is co-founder of Q.Art Belgium, which exists to provide a network for quilt artists living in Belgium. The contemporary wall hangings made by Monique Gilbert are shown in Europe, USA and Japan. Her passion is teaching new techniques to like-minded quilters.

Persona Grata I
$200

Handpainted fabric, non-woven newspaper print, lace, pearls
Appliqué from the back and the front, machine made

A one-inch passport photo of my mother when she was 20 (in 1931) was my starting point. I kept the style of the period that I never knew. My mother learned to quilt from me when she was 75 and was addicted until she died at 90. A tribute.

No comments: